- Kuvempu University
Kuvempu University is a state University established in 1987 and named after the great Kannada writer Shri Kuvempu. Over the years it has achieved a distinctive academic profile and a cultural identity of its own.
The culture of the University revolves round the great personality of Kuvempu, who was a doyen of Kannada literature, a Jnanapitha awardee and one among the most significant cultural figures of modern India. The university offers under-graduate, post- graduate and Ph.D programmes in a wide range of disciplines. It has 35 Post-graduate Departments in the Faculties of Arts, Commerce, Education, and Science and Technology.
The following centres aim at providing higher education to rural youth and quality education for all:
- Post-Graduate Centre, Kadur
- Post-Graduate Centre, Chikkamagaluru
The University has 99 affiliated colleges which includes 3 constituent colleges, 30 Government aided colleges, 65 Unaided private colleges, and one college under the direct control of the University, spread over the two districts offering Under-Graduate and Post-Graduate Programmes.
Constituent Colleges of Kuvempu University
Sahyadri Arts College, Sahyadri Commerce and Management College, and Sahyadri Science College (Autonomous), the erstwhile government institutions, are now the constituent colleges of Kuvempu University.
Faculties and Programs of Kuvempu University
Faculty of Arts
School of Languages and Literature
School of Social Sciences
- Kannada Studies M.A (Kannada)
- English M.A (English)
- Hindi M.A (Hindi)
- Economics M.A (Economics)
- History and Archaeology M.A (History and Archaeology)
- Journalism and Mass Communication M.A (Journalism and Mass Communication)
- Political Science M.A (Political Science)
- Sociology M.A (Sociology)
- Social Work MSW
Faculty of Commerce
School of Business Studies
- Institute of Management Studies (a) MBA and (b) MBA (HRM1)
- Tourism Administration MBA (TTM2)
Faculty of Education
School of Education
(a) M.Ed (b) M.A in Education
(a) M.P.Ed (b) B.P.Ed
Faculty of Science and Technology
School of Bio Sciences
- Applied Botany M.Sc (Botany)
- Applied Zoology M.Sc (Zoology)
- Biotechnology M.Sc (Biotechnology)
- Microbiology M.Sc (Microbiology)
- Wildlife and Management M.Sc (Wildlife and Management)
- Psychology M.Sc. (Psychology)
School of Chemical Sciences
- Biochemistry M.Sc (Biochemistry)
- Chemistry M.Sc (Chemistry)
- Industrial Chemistry M.Sc (Industrial Chemistry)
School of Earth and Environmental Sciences
- Applied Geology (a) M.Sc Geoinformatics (b) M.Sc (ESRM3)
- Environmental Science M.Sc (Environmental Science)
School of Physical Sciences
- Computer Science (a) M.Sc (Computer Science), (b) MCA
- Electronics M.Sc (Electronics)
- Library and Information Science M.L.I.Sc (Library and Information Science)
- Mathematics (a) M.Sc (Mathematics) (b) M.Sc (Statistics)
- Physics M.Sc (Physics)
Add-on P. G. Diploma Courses
- Archaeology and Museology (Department of History and Archaeology )
- Industrial Chemical Quality Control (Department of Industrial Chemistry)
- Industrial Bioanalytical Techniques (Department of Biochemistry)
- Yoga (Department of Physical Education)
- Naveena Madhyamagalu mattu Kannada Sahitya (Kannada Bharathi)
- Ranga Adyayana (Kannada Bharathi)
- Kuvempu mattu Vaicharikathe (Kannada Bharathi)
- Allamaprabhu (Kannada Bharathi)
Admission in Kuvempu University
The minimum qualification required for all the PG and PG Diploma courses is a bachelor’s degree in the relevant field with minimum required marks.
The selection for PG and PG Diploma will be done on the basis of merit.
For MBA and MCA, the candidate will have secure merit in the Entrance Exam for getting selected.
The application form can be filled online or offline mode as per the convenience of the aspirant.
Directorate of Distance Education (DDE) of Kuvempu University
The main objective of the Directorate of Distance Education is to offer quality education at the doorstep of the students who cannot travel or pursue regular courses. It offers under-graduate, post-graduate and P.G Diploma courses. It has 50 Post-Graduate departments of studies in the faculties of Arts ,Science and Technology ,Commerce , Education and Law. It also has 3 constituent colleges,one college under direct administration and two Post-Gradaute Centres at Kadur in Chikkamagaluru District and IDSG College Campus Chikmagaluru.
The Keladi museum is one of the popular museums showcasing a unique collection of manuscripts, sculptures and paintings. The museum houses about 2,500 palm leaf manuscripts, thousands of paper manuscripts written in Kannada, Sanskrit and Telugu scripts. It provides facilities to scholars for research.
Prasaranga is the publication and extension wing of the University. It plays a key role in disseminating knowledge and in building a bridge between the academic world and the society at large.
The Library is housed in a modern and well equipped building and provides facilities of reading, borrowing and reference to the students, teachers and research scholars of all Departments. The library provides access to online resources such as e-journals, e-database, and e-portals. The library has access to more than 15000 e-resources under the Shodh Sindhu programme of the UGC-Inflibnet Centre.
There are four hostels for the post-graduate students on the main campus - two men’s hostels and two women’s hostels. The working women’s hostel on the campus provides accommodation to students and research scholars.
Shankaraghatta - 577451,
Shivamogga Dist., Karnataka,