Karnataka State Open University (KSOU)
Karnataka State Open University or KSOU was established on 1st June 1996 and is considered to be one of the most reputed Open University amongst the open learning institutions in the country.
Karnataka State Open University is situated at the North–Western end of the Manasagangotri campus, Mysore and offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses.
The University System is a respected higher-learning organization known for its distinctive strengths in providing superior and relevant distance learning programs to its learners. In pursuing this vision, the University System:
- Creates interactive, effective learning environments for all constituents
- Serves its constituents’ diverse personal and professional development needs.
- Expands access to affordable programs to for the privilege of learners
To provide quality higher education with emphasis on educating the public by offering respected, relevant, accessible and affordable, student-focused programs, which prepare them for service and leadership in a diverse community.
Objectives of Karnataka State Open University
The Karnataka State Open University came into being to achieve the following objectives:
- Democratizing Higher Education by taking it to the doorsteps of the learners.
- Providing access to high quality education to all those who seek it, irrespective of age, region or formal qualifications.
- Offering need – based academic Programmes by giving professional and vocational orientation to the programme.
- Promoting and developing distance education in India.
- Relaxed entry regulations.
- Providing opportunities to study according to one’s own pace and convenience.
- Flexibility in choosing the combination of courses from a wide range of disciplines.
- Providing opportunity to study from one’s own chosen place and pace.
Academic Programs of Karnataka State Open University
- B.A. Programme
- B.Com. Programme
- M.A – Kannada
- M.A – English
- M.A – Hindi
- M.A – Urdu
- M.A – History
- M.A – Economics
- M.A - Political Science
- M.A - Public Administration
- M.A – Sociology
- M.A - Journalism and Mass Communication
- M.A - Ancient History & Archeology
- M.Sc. - Environmental Science
- Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics
- Computer Science
- Information Science
Schools of Karnataka State Open University
The School of Commerce & Management
- Department of Commerce
- Department of Business Administration
The School of Humanities
- Department of Kannada
- Department of Sanskrit
- Department of English
- Department of Urdu
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Telugu
The School of Social Science
- Department of History
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Ancient History and Archeology
- Department of Public Administration
- Department of Economics
- Department of Journalism & Mass Communication
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Anthropology
The School of Science
- Department of Biochemistry
- Department of Geography
- Department of Biotechnology
- Department of Library and Information Science
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Computer Science 1
- Department of Microbiology
- Department of Environmental Science
- Department of Physics
- Department of Food Science and Nutrition
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Information Science
The School of Education
Department of Education
University of Mysore Campus
Phone: 0821-2512471 (0)